Amazon Riverboat and Machu Picchu Explorer
Call us for prices & availability
- Flights & taxes
- Checked baggage
- ATOL protection
- In resort assistance & 24 hour contact centre
Combining travel on land and sea, this Amazon Riverboat experience is a true South American adventure. This really is a once-in-a-lifetime cruise through one of the most famous parts of the world, giving you the opportunity to see the exotic wildlife, immerse yourself in local cultures and see world-famous landmarks such as Machu Picchu. From ancient ruins to astonishing views and rewarding hikes, this tour really combines the best features of this region. (GM)
- Explore the Amazon, Marañon and Ucayali Rivers by riverboat
- Explore the ‘City of Kings’ – Lima
- Trek through the Sacred Valley and Ollantaytambo ruins
- Admire the views from Machu Picchu
- Immerse yourself in the colonial past by soaking up the culture in Cusco
Arrive into Lima and transfer to your hotel (arrival transfer included). The rest of the day can be spent at leisure enjoying the city.
You’ll begin today very early to give yourself time to enjoy breakfast before catching a flight to Iquitos. There’ll be time for a city tour and a visit to a manatee rescue centre. From here, you’ll transfer to the Amazon River ship which will be your home for the next seven days.
(Breakfast, lunch and dinner included)
Day 3 - 7
Amazon, Marañon and Ucayali Rivers
Spend your first day on-board the ship sailing to the confluence of the Marañon and Ucayali rivers, which is generally considered to be the starting point for the Amazon River. Along the way, keep a lookout for monkeys, sloths, pink dolphins and an array of birdlife. Over the next five days, you’ll be treated to the delights of the Amazon rainforest. There will be time for jungle walks, lectures and river journeys, all accompanied by amazing wildlife sightings. There will be two days of excursions in the Pacaya-Samiria National Reserve, as well as a chance to interact with the locals. Over these days, spend time meeting a local shaman and learn more about spiritual healing in this region; go piranha fishing and go swimming. There will also be an opportunity to attend a jungle cooking lesson where you can learn about the local cuisine.
(Breakfast, lunch and dinner included)
Iquitos and Lima
Disembark at Iquitos and transfer to the airport for your flight back to Lima. In the afternoon, enjoy some free time to explore the capital of Peru.
Today is a free day in the ‘City of Kings’, where you can take an optional city tour, visit the museums of ancient history, or simply enjoy a meal of freshly prepared seafood in one of the many restaurants. If you want to get a feel for the history of this area, head to the Plaza de Armas to watch the changing of the Palace Guard in the afternoon, then walk the streets surrounding Jiron de la Union to witness the beautiful architecture.
Take an early flight to Cusco then journey onwards to the Sacred Valley where you’ll spend the next two days exploring with a local guide. You’ll have chance to visit the Ccaccaccollo community, including a women’s weaving group, and the Moray ruins. There will be a traditional Pachamanca-style dinner of popular local dishes, as well as a visit to the local handicraft market.
(Two breakfasts, one lunch and one dinner included)
Take an early transfer to Ollantaytambo and catch the train to Aguas Calientes – a scenic journey that offers up views of the beautiful landscape. There is an optional visit to the market, as well as time for an optional independent visit to Machu Picchu before the guided tour in the morning. If time permits, there is an optional visit to the local hot springs.
Machu Picchu and Cuzco
Wake up early today to take the first bus to the spiritual heart of the Incas, the ‘Lost City’ of Machu Picchu. There will be time for a tour with an expert guide for around two hours, after which you can explore on your own or hike to Wayna Picchu if you fancy seeing the views without the crowds. In the evening, you will return by train to Ollantaytambo or Poroy, then transfer to Cusco.
Spend a day exploring Cusco’s historic streets, markets and museums, with more active pursuits including horseback riding, mountain biking and whitewater rafting.
Fly back to Lima for the evening in Lima where you can relax and enjoy the buzz of the city one last time.
Depart from Lima today.
- International flights and arrival transfer
- Internal travel: Amazon riverboat; bus; train; plane; walking
- Aboard the Amatista Amazon riverboat (6 nights); comfort hotels (9 nights)
- 15 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 dinners (Allow USD250-400 for meals not included); all meals on board
- Sacred Valley tour (2-day); Visit to a local women's weaving project and lunch at the Sacred Valley Community Restaurant in Huchuy Qosco, an indigenous village; Scenic train and guided tour of Machu Picchu; 6 nights aboard the Amatista Amazon riverboat; Canopy walkway excursion in Pacaya-Samiria National Reserve
- Certified Amazon Reserve naturalist guide and support staff on board the Amazon riverboat; Tour guide throughout, in addition to local guides
- Small group experience; max 28 on riverboat, max 15 on land portion