Amazon to the Andes
11 nights from £2,549 per person - available 2018 & 2019
- Flights & taxes
- Checked baggage
- ATOL protection
- In resort assistance & 24 hour contact centre
Get a taste for the fascinating combination of natural beauty, diverse scenery and unique culture of the Andes with this 12-day adventure. Passing amazing wildlife, dense canopies and historic ancient trails, you’ll have the chance to immerse yourself in the treasures of South America. Hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, visit indigenous villages and meet the locals, and scan the landscape for unique wildlife findings – this is an unforgettable experience in one of the most unique and breath-taking locations in the world. (GCL - PAA)
- Explore the colonial city of Cusco
- Journey along the Sacred Valley of the Incas and visit the ruins of Ollantaytambo
- Spend four days trekking the Inca Trail
- Delve into the natural beauty of the Amazon jungle
- Enjoy a farewell dinner and night on the town in Lima
Arrive at any time and check-in to your hotel. For the remainder of the day, get to know the city at leisure.
Take an early flight to Cusco and enjoy a free day shopping, exploring the city and sampling the local cuisine. This is the continent’s oldest and continuously inhabited city and a haven for culture and architecture. It is the heart of the Inca Empire, so make sure you visit some of the museums and the Coricancha ruins.
Today sees you take part in a full-day guided tour of the Sacred Valley and Ollantaytambo ruins, as well as visiting a local women’s weaving project in the local community. Along the way, you’ll also see the impressive Pisac ruins and the colourful artisan market where you can go shopping (market days only). There will also be chance to visit the indigenous village of Huchuy Qosco.
(Breakfast and lunch included)
Inca Trail to Machu Picchu - including Wayllabamba Camp, Paqaymayo Camp, and Winaywayna
The next four days will be spent hiking the Inca trail – this is a physically challenging but rewarding trip, with some amazing views along the way. Over the course of the next four days you’ll pass tropical flora, smaller ruin sites such as Llactapata, climb the steep path to Warmiwañusca, or as its better known – dead women’s pass. Be treated to gorgeous views of Cordillera Vilcabamba and the Urubamba Valley, and reach you goal at the end as you walk down towards the sun gate for a spectacular sunrise and continue downward to the mysterious and magical Machu Picchu. There’ll also be an optional visit to the Inca Bridge if time permits, something not to be missed!
(Four breakfasts, three lunches and three dinners included)
Today is a free day for you to explore Cusco and unwind after your challenging last four days. You may want to visit some nearby ruins or wander through the museums and cobblestone streets, or if you’re feeling energetic you can even go white-water rafting, horseback riding or mountain biking which are all great fun group activities.
Fly from Cusco to Puerto Maldonado which can be found deep in the Amazon jungle. You’ll travel by motorized canoe to the lodge in the Tambopata Rainforest Area, which has an astonishing array of birdlife – this area actually holds the world record for most bird sightings in one area! After dinner relax in a hammock or go for a swim before the night time excursion to see which animals (and creepy crawlies) come out only at night (you'll need to borrow a torch!). You’ll have chance to go on a Caiman spotting cruise down the river and to explore the jungle with an experienced guide on a jungle trek who will teach you the wonders of the forest before flying back to Lima.
(Two breakfasts, two lunches and two dinners included)
Fly back to Lima for an optional final dinner with your fellow travellers on a fun night out.
You can depart at any time, but we highly recommend booking pre- or post-accommodation to fully explore this lively city.
- International flights and internal flights
- Internal travel: public bus; plane; train; boat; canoe; hiking
- Hotels/guesthouses (6 nights); camping (3 nights); G Lodge Amazon (2 nights)
- 11 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 5 dinners (Allow USD200-260 for meals not included)
- Inca Trail guided hike with cooks and porters (4-day); Handmade biodegradable soap products for use on the Inca Trail; Machu Picchu guided tour; Amazon Jungle stay at the exclusive G Lodge Amazon (3-day); Guided excursions with naturalists; Rubber boot use, Parwa community restaurant (Sacred Valley) and visit to the womens weaving co-op.
- Tour guide in Lima and Cusco; specialist Inca Trail tour guide on hike; expert jungle guide in Amazon
- Small group experience; max 16, avg 12