Hoi An holidays - Quiet and picturesque
Peaceful and steeped in history, Hoi An offers a true Vietnam experience away from the hustle and bustle of the usual tourist spots. Forget pushing past masses of people in the busy streets, instead the town centre is pedestrianised, ready for scenic strolls through beautiful architecture, whilst life along the riverside hasn't changed much over the years. There's a wonderful sense of authenticity here.
A sleepy town rich in history
Hoi An presents a different side of Vietnam, mercifully free from gridlocked traffic and frenetic pace of life you find elsewhere.
There’s a sort of dogmatic peace imposed on the town centre – it’s pedestrianised for the majority of the day and walking around the narrow, quaint city streets is completely stress free compared to some parts of the country.
The charms of Hoi An are certainly rooted in its history; built across a river, it was once a thriving port. When the ships stopped coming, Hoi An’s impressive authentic architecture lay dormant for the majority of the 19 century only to be revived by the rise of tourism to the country.
Now the old town is a protected UNCESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most interesting areas in the world of Vietnam.
This is also a great place for foodies – Vietnamese cuisine is notoriously delicious and this is an excellent place to try out the range of local dishes. There is a huge range of restaurants serving very cheap food mainly based around noodle dishes.
Why visit Hoi An?
- Get a suit tailor-made for you in one of the many tailoring shops
- Visit one of the four museums in the town centre – the Museum of Folk Culture is certainly worth a look
- Walk through the historic streets of the Old Town centre
- Find Vietnam at a more relaxed pace without the bustle of the larger cities
- This is the perfect place to experience real Vietnamese culture and authentic architecture