Costa Rica Family Adventure
Bed & Breakfast 8 nights from £1,749 per person
- Flights & taxes
- Checked baggage
- ATOL protection
- In resort assistance & 24 hour contact centre
This 9-day trip is an engaging mix of ecological wonders and fun outdoor activities, this trip was designed for parents and children to enjoy together. Experience rappelling and rafting in La Fortuna plus zip lining and hiking through the Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve. Visit a local family to learn to make tortillas, and study the diverse flora and fauna. There will be time to relax on the beach in the Manuel Antonio National Park and also to explore the colonial city of San Jose (GF - CRFA).
- Go hiking in Monteverde and Manuel Antonio National Park
- Learn to make traditional tortillas with a local family
- Enjoy watersports on Lake Arenal
- Soak up the sunshine on the beaches at Manuel Antonio National Park
- Explore the city of San Jose
Further reading: The Costa Rica Family Adventure is featured in our guide to the top 10 holidays for adventurous families.
Arrive into San Jose and transfer to your hotel (transfer included). The rest of the day is yours to explore this fun and exciting city.
After a three-hour journey to La Fortuna, you’ll be surrounded by the beautiful scenery of this area which is set to a backdrop of the spectacular Arenal Volcano. This is a hub of adventure in Costa Rica so make the most of it with a range of exciting outdoor activities to include kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding, or take a dip in the hot springs if you’d prefer something more relaxing. For lunch, you’ll experience an authentic cultural exchange with a local family where you’ll make tortillas. In the afternoon, try rafting, rappelling or floating along the Cano Negro Wildlife Refuge.
(Two breakfasts and one lunch included)
Make your way by boat and van to the mountain air of the Monteverde cloud forest, where you’ll spend two days exploring the town and forest reserve. The ecosystem here is amazing, filled with an array of tropical bird life. You’ll also take part in a guided nature hike in the Santa Elena Reserve which is home to a variety of plant and animal species (have your insect repellent ready!). Later on try your hand at zip-ling through the canopy, horseback riding or opt to visit the lovely butterfly garden.
(Two breakfasts included)
Manuel Antonio National Park
The next two days will be spent at Manuel Antonio National Park, a fantastic spot for hiking, wildlife viewing, or simply relaxing and taking in the view. You’ll take part in a hike through the heart of the park to explore the wonders that can be found here, including brilliant beaches, wildlife and great trail routes. Look out for armadillos, sloths and monkeys, as well as over 350 species of birds! In your free time you have several options for activities which include a sunset catarman tour, mangrove kayaking, surf lessons or relaxing on the beach.
(Two breakfasts included)
Free morning to enjoy more time at the beach in Manuel Antonio National Park. Return to San José in the afternoon. Free evening in San José.
You’ll have one final morning in Manuel Antonio to relax on the beach before returning to San Jose to explore the city. Enjoy your last evening together with the group before your departure.
- International flights
- Internal travel: private van; boat; walking
- Hotels (8 nights)
- 8 breakfasts, 1 lunch (Allow USD380-495 per person for meals not included)
- Kayaking and paddle-boarding in La Fortuna; Tortilla-making and a typical lunch with a local family; Stand-up paddle boarding (Lesson and tour in Arenal), Guided hike in the Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve (Monteverde); Guided hike in Manuel Antonio NP
- Tour guide throughout, in addition to local guides
- Small group experience;
- Maximum 20 people, Average 10
- This tour is suitable for children from 6 years and above, you must have a child (6-17 years) in order to book a Family Tour.