Five of the best destinations to visit in April
In between tucking into giant chocolate eggs and hot cross buns, our favourite way to celebrate Easter is by jetting off somewhere warm and exciting. In some destinations, you’ll find hot, sunny days perfect for sunbathing and starting off your tan, whilst in others spring is just starting and the scenaries of new flowers and clear blue skies are simply stunning. In our eyes, the start of spring is the opportune time to escape the normal day to day life, and renew with a trip to paradise.
Whether you fancy a sun-kissed beach break or an American adventure, our list of the best destinations to holiday in April will surely spark some inspiration. Spring has never looked so blooming marvellous.
As the UK weather slowly starts to warm up, albeit amidst plenty of April showers, Tobago is largely enjoying an extended dry spell. Offering heavenly sunshine and barely any rain, days are best spent soaking up the sun, interrupted only by ice cool cocktails or a refreshing dip in the sea.
With half the month dedicated to the Easter school break, Tobago’s family-friendly hotels will be starting to get busy. Couples hoping to swap the madness of lively family hotels with something a bit quieter and calmer will love Coco Reef Resort, a colourful resort adorned with secluded, pearly white sands, intimate vibes, and no excitable kids in sight.
If you’re hoping for something even more romantic, we couldn’t recommend Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort enough. After a day of spa treatments and stretching out on a sun lounger, wander along to Kali’na for a delicious dinner infused with Caribbean flair and flavours.
You’ll hear plenty of eager water sports enthusiasts talk about the Maldives in April. Boasting wonderfully warm sea temperatures and dazzling blue skies, the snorkelling and diving at this time of year is second to none. Imagine plunging into crystal clear lagoons and swimming alongside tropical fish and perhaps even a turtle or two…it’s simply too hard to resist.
It seems the Maldives is a very popular destination in April, but choose your resort right, and you’ll still enjoy a quiet and intimate holiday. Accessed only by speedboat, Meeru Island Resort & Spa is surrounded by stunning blue lagoons and sugary sand beaches, its wonderful castaway feeling enhanced by the fact that it’s the only resort nestled on the unspoilt sands of Meerufenfushi island.
Similarly, Sun Aqua Vilu Reef can only be found via seaplane, offering a sensational view before you’ve even set foot on the secluded beach. Simply perfect for honeymooners, the scenic vistas, leisurely water sports and relaxed ambience evoke a truly romantic feel.
Teaming with incredible music, sumptuous food and eclectic arts scenes, New Orleans is a cultural paradise that just begs to be explored. Arrive in April and you’ll find that the temperatures are comfortably cool, ideal for wandering the streets in search of fantastic live music, drool-inducing food vendors and eye-opening galleries. Time your trip right, and you may catch the beginning on the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. Starting on the 27 April, this is a lively and exciting celebration of the city’s culture.
If music is your jam, our A Taste of the South self-drive tour plays an exciting tune. Winding through the likes of Nashville – the home of country music – and Memphis – the home of rock ‘n’ roll – this insight into the Deep South’s music scene is top notch. There’s a whole day in New Orleans included too, giving you plenty of time to explore the city by horse and cart, river boat or bus.
Our Gone with the Wind tour also combines two days in New Orleans with stops at Nashville, Savannah and Atlanta. During your time in New Orleans, you’ll have the option of hopping on a gorgeous Riverboat Dinner Cruise with a Dixieland jazz band playing a groovy soundtrack in the evenings, all the while spending your days getting into the cultural spirit with an exploration of the plantations and the French Quarter.
Narrowly missing the start of the peak season, April is a great time to visit Dubai for those who wish to experience the city in a quietly luxurious manner. It’s not too unbearingly hot either, yet still warm enough to spend your days sunning it up on the beach and cooling down with a complimentary cocktail or two.
If you’re looking for a bit of fun during your trip, look no further than Movenpick Ibn Battuta Gate, a contemporary resort oozing with Arabic charm. Stay at the resort, taking a dip in the rooftop pool before dancing the night away in the lively nightclub, or enjoy free access to the nearby Oceana Beach Club, a trendy club featuring a private beach, lazy river and infinity pool.
Jumeirah Zabeel Saray is another hotel brimming with extravagant opportunities. With its own shopping mall, boutique cinema, kid’s club, huge spa and private beach, the resort has created its own little world full of glamour and excitement, inspired by the intricate style of an Ottoman Palace.
April is the time of year when California’s coast really starts to bloom. With no clouds in the sky, beautiful wild flowers bursting with colour, and calm seas glistening in the rising sun, this is perhaps one of the most beautiful times of the year to enjoy an epic Californian road trip.
The West self-drive tour is fantastic for those who wish to discover California’s beautiful, unspoilt landscapes. Starting and ending in Los Angeles, you’ll have the chance to adventure through Yosemite National Park, take a scenic helicopter tour over the Grand Canyon, enjoy a sun-kissed afternoon on Pismo Beach, and even test your luck in Las Vegas.
The Coastal California - Independent Rail Tour is also an unforgettable way to discover California’s gorgeous spring vibes. Starting in San Francisco, you’ll enjoy day trips to Monterey, Carmel and John Muir Woods, before hopping on Amtrak’s historical ‘Coast Starlight’ train for a stunning journey to Los Angeles and San Diego.
Holiday Ideas Travel Guides
- Fabulous holidays for 50-something couples
- Top 10 holiday destinations to experience in 2019
- Fabulous holidays for 40-something couples
- Recommended travel bucket list ideas
- Celebrate your 60th birthday with these recommended holiday experiences
- Celebrate retirement with these recommended holiday experiences
- Marry abroad with one of these recommended destination weddings
- Five of the world's best wine-tasting locations
- Five of the best destinations to visit in June
- The world's top 10 scuba diving destinations
- Five of the best destinations to visit in May
- Five of the best destinations to visit in April
- Recommended touring holidays in Asia and South & Central America
- Five of the best destinations to visit in March
- Watch an incredible sunset at one of these recommended resorts
- Five of the best destinations to visit in February
- Five of the best destinations to visit in January
- Five of the best destinations to visit in December
- Recommended destinations for your family summer holiday abroad
- Five of the best destinations to visit this November
- Five of the best destinations to visit this October
- Five of the best destinations to visit this September
- Recommended destinations for your Christmas abroad
- Recommended holidays for solo travellers
- The world’s most extraordinary wildlife holiday experiences
- Top 10 holidays for those special occasions
- Unique safari experiences with Sanctuary Retreats
- Recommended multi-generational holidays for your brood
- Recommended destinations for your active honeymoon