Costa Rica Explorer
Mixed Board Basis 13 nights from £2,449 per person
- Flights & taxes
- Checked baggage
- ATOL protection
- In resort assistance & 24 hour contact centre
- No credit card fees for Visa and Mastercard
The diverse microclimates and scenery of Costa Rica make it the ideal touring destination. This two week journey takes you on exciting adventure through cloud forests, canopies, coffee cooperatives and winding canals in search of wildlife. Incorporating Caribbean beaches, dense forests and breath-taking native wildlife, this is an exciting journey through one of the world’s most captivating locations. (GCL - CRENG)
- Visit Tortuguero for beaches, rainforests and amazing wildlife
- Enjoy exploring picturesque Fortuna and the Arenal volcano
- Head into the cloud forest of Monteverde
- Be inspired by the beautiful scenery of the Manuel Antonio National Park
Arrive into San Jose where you’ll be met by a representative and transferred to your hotel. The rest of the day is yours to spend enjoying the delights of the city. This is a great destination for people-watching, with everything from jugglers and mime artists to magicians and story-tellers found entertaining on the streets here.
Head to Tortuguero National Park on day two and take a guided boat tour and wildlife viewing trip through the canals as you seek out caiman, monkeys, sloths and basilisk lizards. In your leisure time, you have the option to either relax by the pool at your lodge or visit the nesting grounds of the green and leatherback turtles (seasonal). You can also go kayaking in the warm waters if you’d prefer something a little more adventurous.
(Breakfast, lunch and dinner included on both days)
Leave early this morning and enjoy a snack en-route. In the afternoon, you’ll visit a coffee cooperative and enjoy a tour and local lunch. The cooperative is set in the small village of San Miguel de Sarapiqui. In the evening, you’ll arrive in Fortuna and have time to relax by the pool as you take in the spectacular jungle and volcano views.
(Breakfast and lunch included)
Enjoy browsing Fortuna and making the most of the outdoor pursuits available here, such as rafting, waterfall rappelling or boat tours of the Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge. You enjoy an authentic lunch with a local family and have the opportunity to make traditional tortillas from freshly ground corn masa, which will be served with lunch. The Arenal Volcano is found on the southeast shore of Lake Arenal and is a striking backdrop to this scenic destination. Aside from the lake, there are other delights found here that are worth looking out for, including the breath-taking array of birdlife – over 600 species thrive here. You may wish to go hiking along the picturesque nature trails, or go on a canopy tour to see the forest from a new perspective. Alternatively, you can take a relaxing soak in the local hot springs.
(Two breakfasts and one lunch included)
Travel to Monteverde where you’ll embark on a guided nature hike in the Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve. A hub of ecotourism, Monteverde is a great spot for adventure activities such as zip-lining or traversing the suspension bridges in the canopy. You can also go horseback riding, visit a butterfly garden or take a trip to a coffee farm to learn more about the process. The lesser-known but equally fascinating Santa Elena Reserve is also worth a visit if you have the time. On day 9 you will visit the Monteverde institute where you can learn about the reforestation project and play an active role in this.
(Breakfast included on each day)
Manuel Antonio National Park area
As your adventure begins to draw to a close, you’ll head to the relaxing scenery of the coast and take part in the fun activities available here, such as horseback riding, surfing or simply indulging in some relaxation on the beach. There are also opportunities for whale or dolphin watching excursions (seasonal) or you can head a little further down the coast to the Ballena National Marine Park.
On day 11, take a day trip to Manuel Antonio National Park, one of the most popular parks in Costa Rica despite being the smallest. The beaches, wildlife and nature trails are all fantastic, creating a brilliant day out.
(Breakfast included each day)
San José (1B)
You’ll pass beautiful highland scenery as you make your way back to San José for an optional farewell dinner with the group.
San José (1B)
Depart from San Jose today.
- International flights and arrival transfer
- Internal travel: private van; shuttle van; boat; walking
- Comfort hotels (11 nights); rustic jungle lodge (2 nights)
- 13 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners (Allow USD485-630 for meals not included)
- Boat tour and wildlife viewing of Tortuguero National Park; Coffee cooperative tour and local lunch; Tortilla-making and a typical lunch with a local family; Guided nature walk in Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve; Guided excursion of Manuel Antonio National Park, Monteverde Institutue and Lecture and Reforestation Project, Visit the Sea Turtle Conservancy (Tortuguero)
- Tour guide throughout, in addition to local guides
- Small group experience; Maximum 15, average 10